The summer temperatures are on our heels and the season is the perfect time for refreshingly chilled dishes that don’t require heating up the oven or stove. We have collected a few recipes on our Pinterest board that fit the bill.
To start of the cooler meal, try the watermelon, feta and mint salad. The combination of fruity, sweet, sharp and minty will certainly be a treat for your taste buds! This cucumber salad also utilizes mint and would be a tasty pop of color on anyone’s plate.
Following the first course, wow family and friends with easy and delicious entrees. These ham and cheese pinwheels will be sure to satisfy any appetite and can be made in no time at all. Mediterranean turkey wraps are also easy to make and include feta, olives, sliced turkey, wheat wraps, peppers and more.
The finale, a light and fruity dessert made with ingredients straight from your own garden. This strawberry tomato salad is the perfect, subtly sweet, treat to end a summer dinner, while this raspberry sorbet is served in a citrusy lemon bowl.
Chef Richard Saldivar also has a cool recipe to share! This roasted gazpacho is perfect for the warm temps.
- 1 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes
- Tomato juice
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, roasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, Chiffonade
- Lightly Oil tomatoes, bell pepper and onion and set on grill until well chard on all sides, place garlic clove in foil with a little oil and place on grill until roasted.
- Once the vegetables have been chard remove from grill and place them into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, let sit for 30 minutes or cool enough to handle.
- Once cool, peel the char off the vegetables and rinse slightly under cool water.
- Place the tomatoes and juice into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, garlic clove, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the mixture to a blender and puree for 15 to 20 seconds on high speed.
- Return the pureed mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill from 2 hours to overnight.
- Serve with Chiffonade of basil.